Many people experience changes to their hair at some point during their lives. However, the causes differ from person to person. Your lifestyle choices, environment, hormonal- related conditions, thyroid disease and genetics can all contribute to a reduction in hair coverage, and your experience of hair thinning or loss could differ from your best friend’s, or even your father’s.
Many men affected by hair thinning will suffer emotionally, with their confidence being affected and even dealing with anxiety, depression, or insecurity. A survey commissioned by Nioxin found that over half the men were in denial about their hair loss, refusing to talk to anybody about the problem.
The most common cause of hair loss is changes to hormone levels as men age. Genetics has a big part to play too and if you have a family history of hair loss, it is possible that you will experience it too. Although very common and a natural part of ageing, it is still distressing for the many men who experience it.
There are other reasons our hair thins or falls out, some of which we can control. Other causes include:
- Hormonal changes especially increase in dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the male sex hormone. DHT affects the hair follicles, making them produce smaller and shorter in length, until shrinking completely and not producing any more hairs. Some hormonal changes may be age-related.
- Extreme dieting and malnutrition – hair grows from inside the body, so if the body is not supplying the correct nutrients hair growth may be substandard.
- Medical and genetic conditions such as alopecia and male pattern baldness
- Medications and treatment used for diseases like arthritis and heart problems, and radiation for cancer patients.
Changes to the hair can happen quickly, or it can occur gradually over the years. You may notice thinner patches of your hair, a change in the hair line or small bald spots appearing. Even though hair loss is associated with ageing, it can begin sooner – in some cases as early as 21 years of age.
What’s happening is the tiny cavities in the skin at the base of the hair (follicles) start to shrink. Hair then grows progressively shorter and finer until no hair grows at all.
There are a few different ways to treat thinning and hair loss, though unfortunately there is no cure and no treatment is 100% effective. The best thing you can do is start early on a program of Nioxin maintenance to keep those hair follicles and your scalp as healthy as possible. If you can keep the scalp clear of the hormone DHT and stimulate the blood flow to the follicles, you can slow the process right down and even clear blocked follicles so hair grows stronger and fuller again.
What to do if you are worried about thinning.
- Firstly, if you’re losing hair talk to your doctor to see if a medical condition could be the cause.
- You may want to try a different hair style to alleviate any strain on your roots, and to help hide light thinning.
- Help your hair look thicker with NIOXIN. The products are formulated to combat hair thinning by helping hair to grow as fully as possible, through giving attention to the derma (scalp skin and environment), density (hair follicles producing hairs) and diameter (hair growing through fully and at maximum thickness, without frequent breakage).
Living a healthy lifestyle can both to help prevent hair thinning in the first place and will support healthy hair growth. Eat a rich balanced diet high in vitamins and nutrients like biotin, iron, zinc, and Vitamin A. Avoid smoking – some scientists believe cigarette smoke can harm hair follicles and damage hormones, Get plenty of rest, and drink alcohol in moderation. Try to keep your stress levels low, as stress can disrupt the hair growth cycle. Exercise, meditation, or relaxing with a good book are a few good ways to de-stress.
Please do not be embarrassed talking to our stylists about your concerns. We want to make you feel comfortable and we are used to talking about hair loss. We are all fully trained in using the Nioxin Nioscope which helps us take a detailed look at your scalp. Our regular and ongoing Nioxin training allows us to prescribe in house treatments and also the at home 3-step treatment system which will help your scalp stay healthy and make your hair look and feel fuller.